Hinged Counterweight (HCW)
Counterweight powered trebuchet where the counterweight is attached to the short arm through a hanger allowed to pivot at the attachment to the short arm (hanger axle).
- Easy to build
- More efficient than fixed counterweight (FCW) trebuchets
- Arm rocks back and forth less (Settles faster)
- Can use loose load cw material with an open top box
- Less potential energy than super propped trebuchets
- Counterweight doesn't raise as high as an FCW (reduced potential energy)
- Increased shock load on axle during launch
- CW is more likely to twist into legs if suspended by chain, rope, or cable.
page revision: 6, last edited: 08 Nov 2010 14:24